St. Joseph’s College was founded as a boarding school for boys in 1875, by the Marist Brothers, a Roman Catholic Teaching Order, which originated in France. Under the direction of the first Principal, Brother Alphonsus, the school opened with twelve pupils.
The College was originally housed in what had been the Dumfries Infirmary, opened in 1778, in the Dock Park, where the modern flats now stand in Grant Court. It was purchased on behalf of the Marist Brothers in 1874 by a Mr. Murphy of Dumfries, after the Infirmary moved to its new quarters, across the road at Nithbank. It was to be used for the training of young men for the Marist Brotherhood, and owing to the demand for boarding school education they accepted the first boarders on 5th January, 1875.
The accommodation was soon found to be too small for the demands which were made on it, and so the Brothers purchased the property known as Laurel Mount on the Craigs Road in 1877, built a new training school for young Brothers and renamed it Mount St. Michael. St. Joseph’s College continued in the old Infirmary until further need for expansion caused the Brothers to build the present main building in 1909.
In the 1920s the extensive playing fields at Maryfield were purchased, and in 1925 the College Chapel was dedicated to the memory of those former pupils who had died in the First World War. The old gymnasium known as the Brother John Joseph Memorial Hall, was opened in 1934, and in 1960, the Assembly Hall block was opened.
In 1971, the Marist Brothers and the Dumfriesshire Education Authority made an arrangement whereby all Roman Catholic boys of secondary school age living in Dumfriesshire, could attend the College, and by 1975, the Centenary Year, the role had risen to almost 600. Around that time, further negotiations were initiated between the Marist Brothers and Dumfries and Galloway Regional Council, with a view to the College becoming a Roman Catholic Comprehensive School for girls and boys. Thereafter a policy of phasing out the boarding population began.
In 1981, the College was taken over formally by Dumfries and Galloway Regional Council, to become one of the four six year co-educational comprehensive schools within the Burgh of Dumfries. It was to have a special regard for the educational needs of the Roman Catholic population, from the catchment areas of Dumfries, Annan, Castle Douglas and Dalbeattie, but places at St. Joseph’s College are also available to children of secondary school age of other denominations whose parents wish to send them to the College. This is very much in keeping with the tradition established by the Marist Brothers.
The Regional Authority drew up a major rebuilding programme, which involved expenditure of a sum in excess of £4 million over the years 1982 – 1987. Once this was underway, the first lay Headmaster commenced in 1982 after which girls were accommodated from the Benedictine Convent School and St. Andrews Secondary School.
Many of its past pupils have made significant contributions to the Church, the professions and to public life in general, which has enhanced the name of the College within the British Isles and beyond. These are traditions which all staff, parents and pupils should strive to maintain and develop within the framework of the changed circumstances.
